Mr Mike Hayton
FRCS(Trauma and Orth) FFSEM (UK)
Consultant Orthopaedic Hand Surgeon
Mike Hayton has been honoured in the past to have been appointed as President of the British Association of Hand Therapists and appreciates that they are often vital to obtain an optimised outcome.
Hand therapy is an important part of Mike's patients care and he work closely with a number of therapists.
A Hand Therapist is an Occupational Therapist or a Physiotherapist who has specialised through advanced study and experience the treatment of conditions affecting the hand and upper limb.
You may have your own therapist, either an Occupational therapist or Physiotherapist. If this is the case Mike will work closely with them to faciliate a rehabilitation program to suit your needs. It is important that you check that your therapist is "Chartered", as this ensures they have had appropriate training.
The Hand Therapist liaises closely with the patient's consultant in order to provide consistency and complementary care. The treatment can often start within days of the injury or surgery and last until the patient is able to return to full function.
The Hand Therapist can assess and treat a variety of post-operative/post injury or preventative and non operative conditions.
Treatments may include:
- Assistance in the reduction of oedema
- Management of scars(raised/swollen or hypersensitive)
- Desensitisation following nerve injury
- Sensory education following nerve injury
- Treatment of chronic regional pain syndrome
- Exercise programmes to increase range of movement and strength
- Manufacture bespoke splints to aid recovery/correct deformity or protect ion during post-operative phase of healing
- Assessment of activities of daily living and work pacing
- Pre-operative assessment /advice and counselling
Please download an exercise sheet designed for you to recover from your hand surgery
Click here if you have had surgery for Carpal tunnel, Trigger Finger and simple lumps and bumps type hand surgery
For further information or to make an appointment, click here.